Sunday, January 23, 2011

Lessons for a Fourth Grader

Every other week I build up the courage to enter a small group full of about twenty or so fourth grade boys. Now don't get me wrong, I love being around these guys. A lot of times their answers to my questions blow my mind and sometimes even open my eyes to things. The view from the stance from a fourth grade boy can be interesting at times, Even more often, I catch myself figuring out the answers to the questions I am asking them. Almost every week, I learn a lesson through what I am teaching. I hope to share some of these over the next couple months before I prepare for camp.
      The last month has been centered around the idea of determination. That is their "virtue" of the month. Today's lesson was pretty heavy stuff for anyone let alone a fourth grader. We looked at 2 Corinthians 11:23-27 where Paul is talking about what he has been through. Finishing it off with Acts 20:24
 "However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace."
    That first half of the verse gets me. Paul had no ounce of selfish ambition. His single goal was to continue to testify the good news! He cared about nothing else but completing his task. Despite the beatings and danger that Paul faced in 2 Corinthians. That's some pretty awesome determination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment